Born with a Hole in your Chest? [What is Pectus Excavatum?]

One of my current good friends as well as my ex boyfriend both suffer from pectus excavatum. When I first noticed this deformity in my ex, I asked him about it and immediately looked it up. He explained that he has had it since he was born and he has a few health problems because of this deformity. So what exactly is pectus excavatum?  

Pectus excavatum is a condition where someone’s breastbone is sunken into his/her chest. The severity definitely depends on the patient, but in severe cases, this condition may present as a “scooped out” or deep dent in the center of one’s chest. It is definitely more common in boys than girls and can eventually interfere with his/her heart and lung function. This causes symptoms such as a decreased ability to exercise, rapid heartbeat/heart palpitations, recurrent respiratory infections, chest pain, coughing, and fatigue. 

Occuring in 1 in 400 births, pectus excavatum’s cause remains relatively unknown, but some scientists think that the cartilaginous ribs grow unevenly, pushing down one’s breastbone. Other patients with problems of bones and cartilage (such as Marfan’s syndrome) often have a higher risk of being born with pectus excavatum. Over time, there’s a risk of this deformity worsening and treatment for more severe cases involves surgery. 

There are two surgical approaches that surgeons can take: the Nuss Procedure or the Ravitch Procedure. The Nuss Procedure involves using a steel bar to push out the breast bone with the steel bar staying in the chest for 2-3 years. If I recall correctly, this is the procedure my ex boyfriend had done at a young age. The Ravitch Procedure involves removing the cartilaginous ribs from their connection to the breast bone, then straightening the breast bone out. A strut may then be placed as the breast bone heals. 

Nuss Procedure Diagram #2

Nuss Procedure Diagram #2

Ravitch Procedure Diagram #1

Ravitch Procedure Diagram #2

Although pectus excavatum can lead to numerous health problems, the normal shape of the chest is maintained in a majority of children after either of these two procedures. What do you guys think? Do any of you know someone with pectus excavatum? Comment your answers here or on my insta post regarding this blog! 🙂 

If you want to keep up with me through social media, my links are:

Instagram: @joannaqluvsu

Twitter: @joannaqluvsu

Make sure to subscribe to get a notification every time I post 🙂

One thought on “Born with a Hole in your Chest? [What is Pectus Excavatum?]